Monday, January 14, 2013

Barbecue Chicken Quesadillas

Tortillas and Barbecue Sauce.
They don't really sound like they go together do they.
But don't second guess it, try this recipe for yourself. 
My husband and I actually really really thought it tasted good!

ingredients:

Nonstick Cooking Spry
4 8 inch Flour Tortillas
1 cup of Shredded Cheese (your choice)
1 4 oz. can of Diced Chile's, Drained
1 18 oz. Tub of Barbacue Sauce
2 cups of Shredded chicken, cooked
1 cup Bottled Salsa
1/4 cup Dairy Sour Cream

directions:

Coat one side of each tortilla with cooking spray. Place, coated sides down, on cutting board or waxed paper. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese over half of each tortilla. Top with green chiles and barbecue sauce with chicken. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently.

Preheat oven to 350. In a hot 10-inch skillet cook quesadillas, two at a time, over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Place quesadillas on a baking sheet. Keep warm in preheated oven for up to 20 minutes. Repeat with remaining quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 3 wedges. Serve with salsa, sour cream, and green onion. Makes 4 servings.



Recipe Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

Also, here is a menu planning tip that I would like to share with you: You've got to find out what works for you! Everyone is different so the same thing isn't going to work for everyone. I have tried a lot of things. Once I tried to plan my meals for 4 months at a time. Wow! That was a failure. So then I tried 1 month at a time and that didn't work either. I was seeing a trend that what I had planned a month ago didn't sound good to me on the actual day I was suppose to make it. 

I have finally figured out what works for me! I plan on a weekly bases and   this has been a success for my schedule. I usually go to the grocery store once a week - any more then that it gets chaotic. On the day I go before I leave I write down in my planner what main dish I want to make for each day of the week.  As I come across recipes during the week I either write them down or save the website I saw them on. This way I know where to find them. 

When I plan what meals I will make on which days I find them and look at all the ingredients. I make my grocery list from what I need from the recipes that I don't already have in my home. From there I add the main items like milk, carrots, eggs,  bananas, etc. This works great for me! From doing this it creates less stress for me because I know that I have all the ingredients I need for the week to make meals. It is even great when some nights you have leftovers. You can either use these for lunch the next day or even dinner again. What  ever recipe I don't use that week I know I have all the ingredients ready so if I want to use it for the next week!

Also, a great thing that has helped me is that if a recipe calls for 1 bottle of barbecue sauce or whatever it is (example: can of beans, ketchup, oatmeal) sometimes at the store I will buy 2 or 3 of this item. This will help build food storage little by little and you won't notice a huge change in your grocery bill. Then if you need it all of a sudden one day you don't have to make a trip to the store just to buy that one item.  

Find  what works for you. This has worked for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment